Steps Foundation Nepal is a Kathmandu based NGO, primarily operating with voluntary workers, following three basic principles in order to create a platform for women empowerment and gender equality:
1. To train rural women in income-generating skills, so that they may be self-reliant.
2. To promote women’s reproductive health, by mitigating superstitions and malpractices of menstrual hygiene, and promote birth control.
3. To provide community education on women’s and children’s legal rights – eg divorce and inheritance.
4. To create a platform for women empowerment and gender equality in rural society, and thus create a more just and sustainable society.
- To create a viable platform, through awareness and practice, leading to women’s empowerment and gender equality through education, culture and sport activities.
- To train income-generating skills to rural women, with the aim of their becoming self-reliant.
- To promote women’s reproductive health by addressing superstitions and malpractices associated with menstruation and birth control.
- Addressing the dangers of early marriage, early pregnancy, too many births, domestic violence, gambling, alcohol etc., prevalent in society, through group and individual trainings.
- To provide information and raise awareness around women’s and children’s social and legal rights – giving them ‘a voice’.